Topic

By: lorna14

Panic Eating.....

Just wondered if anyone else has done this??? My mum told me that ever since I was little I would do anything to avoid being hungry! Before LL I genuinely can not remember ever feeling true physical hunger......this is now something I am truly enjoying as food tastes so much better and i FEEL so much better when I have nourished my body properly. However it is something I have struggled to get my head around, especially yesterday.....in my head I thought because I was going to be out of the house for a few hours and food would not be available I would give myself permission to eat more and be fuller.....then later in the evening I did the same because I was going to an exercise class and didnt want to be hungry later at night and eat so close to bed time.....after I looked at my food diary, I realised I was just giving myself excuses to eat more. Has anyone experienced this, or got any thoughts/ suggestions for me? I have planned out some steps and affirmations for myself, particularly ones around food always being available and always having a choice because I seem to be forgetting this!!!! Lorna x x x

Replies

1. RE: Panic Eating.....

Me too Joh, well done!!!!!xxx
    Posted: 27/04/2012 07:03 By: lorna14
  2. RE: Panic Eating.....

thats wonderful jo. glad its going so well for you. :)
    Posted: 26/04/2012 23:15 By: dwil
  3. RE: Panic Eating.....

Dwil you have just described my current approach to weight management.

I went to my group for a weigh-in tonight - my last one was 2 weeks ago - had a bit of a chat to tell everyone how I'm doing and then left. I plan to go fortnightly for a month or two and then monthly.

I don't pretend I have all the answers but I'm working my way towards a new way of life.I don't intend to let a weight number become the be-all and end-all of my journey. I'm going to keep getting fitter and keep eating sensibly and I'm going to enjoy my new energy. Life is good! And, of course, I wish the same for all my fellow travellers.

Jox
    Maintaining my weight since January. I feel in control of my eating for the first time in my life and I am fitter, stronger and more active than I have ever been.

Posted: 26/04/2012 21:49 By: JoH
  4. RE: Panic Eating.....

Just to add re weighing ourselves regularly in management. When I was doing rtm last year I attended the LLmanagement classes each week so stuck to getting weighed there on a weekly basis. Idont possess any scales and wouldn't want to personally purely as I used to years back( in my weight watcher days) be addicted to jumping on and off the scale every minute, twisting myself this way and that, moving the scales from room to room, hard floor to carpet. Etc etc. but I agree we need to keep an eye on size whether by weight or inches. This for me in managing my weight in future will be weekly with LL management classes in first instance and then once I finish management phase expect to still pop in to keep a eye on things. Say once amonth for awhile until I feel more confident that I'm ok weight managing. My class is only 15 mins away so easy enough to keep in touch. I know other ex LL clients still pop in and sometimes come into our total groups for a chat to tell us how they are keeping their weight managed. So that's my thoughts. Plus there's always public weighing scales here and there these days. :-)
    Posted: 26/04/2012 19:02 By: dwil
  5. RE: Panic Eating.....

Gilian, I completely utterly agree with what you have just said. My trousers and size 10s still fitted...yet 9 lbs on in two weeks...THAT is why weighing myself is important and without keeping an eye on the weight I personally know I will be in denial.....for the next months (and probably couple/few years) I will be making sure I weigh myself, and also have a routine that I follow to do it, like you said the day I am scared to get on them....I know without even seeing a number that some positive action needs to be taken!!
    Posted: 26/04/2012 18:24 By: lorna14
  6. RE: Panic Eating.....

Gilian, I completely utterly agree with what you have just said. My trousers and size 10s still fitted...yet 9 lbs on in two weeks...THAT is why weighing myself is important and without keeping an eye on the weight I personally know I will be in denial.....for the next months (and probably couple/few years) I will be making sure I weigh myself, and also have a routine that I follow to do it, like you said the day I am scared to get on them....I know without even seeing a number that some positive action needs to be taken!!
    Posted: 26/04/2012 18:24 By: lorna14
  7. RE: Panic Eating.....

So true dwil! It's probably the first weight gain in my adult life when I haven't felt defeated or depressed or panicky. My LLC and little RTM group are all so great and we had a communal wobble this past week so we were able to have really sensible discussions about it and it was fine. I like the way my LLC and the weigh in lady just say its fine, it's fine, it's just part of the journey and you can address this easily. Mind you, it shows the importance of WI. My TOT were a very very slightly tight and without the WI, I doubt I would have taken corrective action now. SOme people say ditch the scales but for me they are going to be essential management tool. If I am ever scared to step on them I will know I have a problem to address.
    Lost 5 1/2 stones over 22 weeks Sep '11- Feb '12. Have gradually regained a couple of stones with long periods of stability inbetween. Returning to get back to normal bmi and continue the whole learning process. There's a lot still to learn. My blog looks more closely at my daily challenges. Warning: specific food talk!
    Posted: 26/04/2012 10:51 By: carnation
  8. RE: Panic Eating.....

Hi carnation. OK so you are having to get back into the groove but you are addressing it and will work it out soon enough I have no doubt. we have learnt so much about how to deal with our food relationship and whereas before this may have defeated us, now its just another step in the lighter life living challenge. i think its great that your job and career opportunities are going so well. i know that same new found confidence and it really helps. my job is great since we had to reapply for our posts last summer. havent looked back and ended up so happy. it helps that i can wear smart slim fitting clothes to work and feel great about myself getting ready for work each morning. so im sure i understand what its been like for you. the difference is i just have to stick to my four a day at the moment so no additional thinking. im reading up on CBT and TA now ready for my second go at RTM which will come in the not too distant future. have a good week back on packs and take it a step at a time getting back to managing your food choices when you are back on conventional food. :-)
    Posted: 25/04/2012 22:04 By: dwil
  9. RE: Panic Eating.....

I've fallen into the trap in recent weeks of eating in preparation for knowing I wouldn't have time to eat later. It's resulted in less enjoyable food (because not hungry) poor food choices (too rushed to plan and prepare) and consequential weight gain. Aaa agh. Vicious circle. I'm busy because of fantastic career opportunities which have come my way since reaching goal (all that newfound self belief) so I'm not managing terribly well, eating not terribly well, so feeling less than at peak form... As from today I'm back on packs for a rebalancing week to rid myself of the pounds which have crept back on over and above the top limit I set myself. It happens all too quickly. Can't take my eye off the ball for a second...
    Lost 5 1/2 stones over 22 weeks Sep '11- Feb '12. Have gradually regained a couple of stones with long periods of stability inbetween. Returning to get back to normal bmi and continue the whole learning process. There's a lot still to learn. My blog looks more closely at my daily challenges. Warning: specific food talk!
    Posted: 25/04/2012 15:25 By: carnation
  10. RE: Panic Eating.....

Interesting in this post. Just been reading the section in Judith Beck's book on CBT, the Beck Diet Solution. She talks about real hunger as opposed to emotional hunger and also gives an exercise in ascertaining how it feels and your body's reaction to being in real hunger. I did the test myself a few days ago. You miss out lunch and then record your thoughts and feelings. It's definitely not the end of the world that you may think missing lunch would be. I will have to do the experiment again when on management as still on total so ketosis would blind the feelings of proper hunger I guess. But it's still good to know we can survive for a time without eating. :-)
    Content is edited
    Posted: 25/04/2012 07:14 By: dwil