Topic

By: carnation

Strategies and boundaries for management

Im having a packs week because of creeping gain issues and wanting to have some headspace to think about what I've achieved so far and what adjustments I want to make when I return to food choices. I already feel so fantastically on a high after 36 hours (swear there is a secret magic ingredient in those packs!) that I'm doing a lot of thinking about why I feel so good on restricted caloric intake. I love the feeling of emptiness between packs and I'm very very happy going from 5.30 pm through to 9 or 10am the following day. Then coincidentally yesterday I read a load of articles on fasting and intermittent fasting strategies. This it seems us what I'm doing when I concentrate my packs into a 8 hour window. I realise this is potentially a valuable strategy for me long term. I think I'm going to plan to do a fast one day a week. One where I don't eat after six, then go through till six the next day, since I find it very easy to go through the day without food when I'm busy. Here's a link to the article I read in Mark's Daily Apple (hope my HTML code works!) and would be interested if anyone else has considered this. Basically so much easier to not eat than eat!!
Lost 5 1/2 stones over 22 weeks Sep '11- Feb '12. Have gradually regained a couple of stones with long periods of stability inbetween. Returning to get back to normal bmi and continue the whole learning process. There's a lot still to learn. My blog looks more closely at my daily challenges. Warning: specific food talk!

Replies

1. RE: Strategies and boundaries for management

thought it would be useful to recount the last week, which has been pretty good. The packs gave me the time I needed, and I did useful reading and thinking. Felt balanced and sane most of the time. yesterday I had a formal luncheon in the diary, and decided since I am on RTM and not total or lite that I would have protein only at the lunch with salad. Did so, avoided the bread, wine, dessert and chocs etc, BUT when I got home felt oddly hungry, and unsettled. I ended up eating other stuff which frankly I didnt really need but i sort of nibbled my way through the afternoon, and although I stopped at eight, I'd done some things like had half a bagel which really was not on the week's plan! went to bed vaguely uncomfortable, aware I had an early WI this week because I'm away on my usual day, and rather wishing I hadn't taken myself out of ketosis simply because I really didnt want to see the water weight register. How silly. as if water retention is ever the cause of weight management issues. ANYWAY decided after all my reading on fasting to just wait today until I felt hungry before eating. I waited. And waited. And waited, and eventually an hour ago I felt a few hunger pangs. So had a salad, bit of rhubarb and kept waiting to see how I felt. I didnt want to lose the sensation of 'emptiness' but didnt want to stay hungry. it was a fine balancing act. The interesting thing was just how in control I felt doing it this way. I felt very aware of how I was feeling all day long, and very aware of my complete disinterest in food until I felt hungry. It will be interesting to see tomorrow how i feel. But it's not the first time I've noticed how, after carbs the night before, I have no hunger the following day until quite late on. Most peculiar.
    Lost 5 1/2 stones over 22 weeks Sep '11- Feb '12. Have gradually regained a couple of stones with long periods of stability inbetween. Returning to get back to normal bmi and continue the whole learning process. There's a lot still to learn. My blog looks more closely at my daily challenges. Warning: specific food talk!
    Posted: 30/04/2012 20:57 By: carnation
  2. RE: Strategies and boundaries for management

I found this incredibly interesting to read.....I too feel so comfortable and in a better place now i'm on day 2 of packs - i think this is because I have clear boundaries, clear rules and a routine....something I really would like to eventually get with real food. I genuinely believe now that there is no right or wrong when it comes to the structure of your food intake......lighter life has proven that to me. However I still feel slightly uncomfortable at the thought of fasting BUT I am definitely going to give it a go.......I want to show my body and my mind that hunger is not the enemy and it is not something to be scared of because in these times food will ALWAYS be there! Thank you for posting this, it has really helped me think about my boundaries and relationship with food once again :) x
    Posted: 26/04/2012 18:43 By: lorna14
  3. RE: Strategies and boundaries for management

Hi Carnation. Just read the article and responses. I think there probably is something to be said about having a fast as part of your eventual weight management routine. How regular that is would have to be down to personal choice and what you find works for you after experimenting with it. One thing I recall from my two years as a volunteer in Africa is that people generally only ate one meal a day and nothing like the three square meal mentality of the western world. Consequently many people were leaner and more muscular in body type than in the west. Some of that is also down to the food choices ( I was in ethiopia and Kenya) as they live mostly of fresh foods of the land rather than processed food. :-)
    Posted: 26/04/2012 18:41 By: dwil